Monday, October 27, 2014

Full term

Today is baby's due date, but she's still camped out in my abdomen. Some reflections on this pregnancy as its days are numbered...

How completely different-feeling to carry a baby that isn't footling breech! (Still love Chuck Norris facts, though.) Aside from the weight loss in the 1st trimester and major indigestion throughout, this has been a very comfortable pregnancy. No bowling ball embedded in my ribcage; just a bowling ball flattening my bladder into a prolapsed pancake. Because my thyroid was under control beforehand this time, I did not have to take a ride on the hormonal roller coaster. And I've gained a less weight, ranging between 20 and 25 pounds depending on how much edema I'm rockin' on any given day. Gotta love having elephant legs.

I did need maternity clothes with this pregnancy, and started to need them early on. Almost everything was given to me secondhand from friends or was purchased at the thrift store near my house. I bought a couple of new Liz Lange shirts at Target, and the quality:cost ratio is very disappointing.

Although we found out baby's gender and chose a name for her early on (so we could tell Mo what to expect), I'm still inclined to think of it as an "it" until it is out in the world and alive and screaming. I felt that way last time, too. It's a defense mechanism. So many things can go wrong, even up to the end.

But seriously, she needs to get the hell out of my belly. Like now. Pregnancy has fully lost what little charm it had.

Also, we're planning to let our family know when baby arrives, but we're keeping it off social media until we're headed home from the hospital. (PLEASE be polite and do not post our news publicly until you see that we have posted something first!) Last time I was bombarded with phone calls and visits, and I've gotta tell you that was really difficult for me. I had had major abdominal surgery, and it was the first time I was ever hospitalized for anything in life. I was trying to figure out breastfeeding with a jaundiced baby who wouldn't gain weight. And I was suffering serious sleep deprivation. I let the pain get way ahead of me before starting any drugs, and I was fearful that the baby would evaporate if I closed my eyes. I think I maxed out around 36 hours before Robb started acting like a bouncer for me. I'm hoping the hospital can be a little more peaceful this time around. Well, as peaceful as the hospital can be...

"Chuck Norris can gargle peanut butter."

Um, I'm getting sidetracked.

Oh, right, the old wives tales. So I'm NOT drinking castor oil. Too gross. And evening primrose capsules seem like a bad idea. But I have been sitting/bouncing on an exercise ball and taking long walks around the neighborhood. Also I ate a whole fresh pineapple per my friend Brenda's recommendation. Do yourself a favor and never eat a whole fresh pineapple: it changes the acidity of your poop and makes you want to sit on an inflatable donut for a few days afterward.

Robb's out fishing this afternoon because it's a beautiful day, and he realizes his free time is going to take a major hit in the near future. Mo has a headcold and is watching "The Cat in the Hat" downstairs. And I'm sitting here trying to use Jedi mind tricks to induce labor. Wish me luck!

No comments: