Saturday, March 1, 2014

Kickoff to March madness involves wool, pantry stuffs, and a very understanding husband

Dyeing yarn with black tea
Black tea and turmeric drying outside
Woolly mammoth drying over the hearth
Clockwise turmeric paprika undyed and black tea

Honestly I don't give a rat's patootie about basketball, so my version of March madness is another attempt at creating blog posts every day this month. It worked out nicely in November. Here I go again. As you can see from the photos, I've been at my cauldron doing this: dyeing yarn with turmeric and a vegetable steamer. Until the initial whim rapidly spun out of control, and the whole house smelled like wet sheep and Indian food. The shearings from a woolly mammoth dangled over our fireplace. The balls of yarn pictured above (starting with the smallest ball at the right and working clockwise) are natural undyed, black tea, turmeric, and paprika.

Dyeing yarn with black beans

Up next are black beans (blue), and I have chamomile (light yellow) waiting in the wings.  I'll let you know how all of that goes.

And Happy Birthday, Angie!

No comments: