Sunday, February 24, 2013

Earwigs

Some songs I'm keeping on repeat lately:



Take Me Back to the Islands by Idlewild popped up in my favorite Pandora mix. I love the lyric here: And the world will always seem so much younger than me when I take the boat out, a crowded world will always seem emptier to me when I take the boat out.



I can't decide which I like better: the lo-fi video or the retro sound of Forever by Haim. The family photos on the mantle, the BMX bikes, the black leather jacket--it kills me! This gets stuck in my head all the time.



Don't let the video for Vanessa by Grimes distract you from the awesomeness of the song. Not that the video sucks--it's a bunch of women at a teenage sleepover party, playing with makeup, gossiping, and choreographing dance routines--it just devolves into weirdness with a kaleidoscope and eyeballs at the end. That part gives me the heebie-jeebies. Focus on the song, which is good.



Oblivion by Grimes is also good with a slightly less disturbing video. Except the very beginning and very end which are like, ooo-whee VOYEURISM! The singer/songwriter's name is Claire Boucher. She's from Vancouver, and I wonder if I'm related to her by marriage. Maybe yes???



Maybe I'm on a Canadian bender here, but Royal Wood's song Off My Sleeve is perfection. I've gushed about him before. I'm doing it now. And I will do it again. I would LOVE to see Royal Wood perform live in a small setting like this, just the man and his piano and me with a million goosebumps. So smooth.



And if Royal Wood wasn't already the sexiest man alive (right after Robb, of course), then this performance of It's So Great To Get a Hug seals the deal. Incidentally, is he hugging a talking croissant? Ooohhh, I get it. She's a yam: Mamma Yamma.

No comments: